4Xploring will conduct vehicle inspections prior to the adventure departure.
A participant’s vehicle needs to meet the minimum requirements, as appropriate for the event.
- Vehicle must be street legal – licensed, insured and in good mechanical order
- Vehicle must be able to safely maintain 65 MPH on pavement
- Vehicle is required to be 4WD with operational low range capability
- Vehicle must have factory installed roll bar or unmodified hardtop at a minimum
- Vehicle must have functioning seat belts/restraints for all occupants.
- Restraints must be worn at all times.
- Vehicle must have 200 mile fuel range capability (NOTE: Adventures requiring increased capacity/range – will be clearly stated)
- Vehicle must have functional mechanical battery hold down
- Vehicle must have matching spare tire – both in size and wheel bolt pattern
- Vehicle must carry appropriate jack and tools to change a tire in any conditions
- Vehicle should have a winch of suitable rating, tree saver, snatch block, shackles (depending on the event, a winch may be required)
- Vehicle must have recovery gear – tow strap, shackles, etc.
- Vehicle must have operational communications radio – GMRS (preferred) / VHF / UHF
- Vehicle must have safety gear – to include: Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit. Spill Kit recommended.
- Vehicle must carry emergency water/food rations for all occupants to last at least 24 hours
- 35″ Minimum Tire Size for 5-6 rated events. Recommend one locking differential
- 37″ Minimum Tire Size for 7-8 rated events. Front and rear locking differentials required
- 40” Minimum Tire Size for 9-10 rated events. Front and rear locking differentials required
- 9-10 Rated Events require a full roll cage and race style harnesses are recommended
NOTE: Longer wheelbase (e.g. 4 door) vehicles may require larger than the minimum recommended tire size for the event, at the discretion of staff.
- Alcoholic beverages are NOT ALLOWED on roads or trails! Use is only permissible – when the driving day is done and vehicles are parked. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Must be self-sufficient – tools and spare parts need to be carried to repair your vehicle. A 4Xploring representative will provide guidance if requested.
- Appropriate outdoor clothing is important! Weather is unpredictable, have appropriate clothing for outdoor activities. 4Xploring will release a pre-trip “what to expect” suggested item list prior to the event. Our recommendation: LAYERS! Good gloves for the hands, good beanie for your head, good socks and boots.
- Remember, loose fitting layers keep you warmer.
- Rain gear is recommended
- Drinking water is extremely important, 3 day supply is highly recommended
- Insect repellent is recommended
- Sunblock is recommended
4Xploring staff will conduct events that have overnight primitive camping. 4Xploring will release a suggested item list for these adventures. Please keep in mind, items must be stowed in your vehicle – size and weight can be a concern.
Primitive Camping Requirements:
- Quality tent/shelter of suitable size for driver and passenger
- Sleeping bags rated to keep driver and passenger warm
- Suitable sleeping mat, air mattress, etc.
- Means to pack out your trash (includes human waste!)